Saturday, May 7, 2011

Was the reaction of cheering crowd over Osama Bin Laden's death appropriate?

It was on Sunday night, when my friends' facebook status caught my eyes by posting, "Good Riddance, Osama Bin Laden."

The status struck me, yet gave me a question mark that if he is dead for real, so I immediately googled his name.

If I remember correctly, I went on to the website with heading that said, "CNN reports that Osama Bin Laden is dead, May 1, 2011. President Obama to make an announcement at 10:50 p.m. US ET ..."

Still not fully convinced, I shouted my roommate's name after reading an aritcle and acquainted breaking news as if I have seen something startling.

My certainty was up in the air.

Half an hour passed since I read my friend's facebook status. More of my friends started posting status related to death of Osama Bin Laden. They all reacted in the same way - Jubilant.

Though facebook doesn't reveal the tone of voice nor a facial expression, their joyousness over his death was obvious.

When the time for President Obama's announcement came around, my roommate and I sat in front of the computer screen to listen to his speech on live.

My doubts about Bin Laden's death gradually disappeared as the President provided a further confirmation.

"Justice has been done," President Obama spoke to viewers in a flat calm voice.

Soon after his announcement, the broadcast of a vast crowd in front of the white house began. 

Even though I finally acknowledged the incident, I wasn't as happy as those who chanted the operation of killing the world's most wanted man.

Is there really justice in killing? Is cheering the death of someone acceptable?

If they legitimatize their cheering reaction, how could they argue about Al-Qaeda including Bin Laden himself, who cheered on 9/11? 

Indeed Osama bin Laden was a murderer. I don't deny that. He killed countless number of our human brothers.

President's proclamation of justice didn't gratify me and neither the reaction of many who cheered on Bin Laden's death. I watched the live video of them shouting together, "F*** you Osama!, F*** you Osama!" in front of the white house thinking that it was not a matured behavior.

Perhaps if I was the victim of 9/11, I may have showed the same expression as they did.

Nevertheless, I believe that praising an action of killing regardless of who is a prime example of bigotry thus falling into the same category of what Bin Laden has done.

At this point, I'm not sure whether or not he deserved death, but it is not hatred that defends us.

Being proud of bringing down anyone is not grateful.  


For more I recommend reading the article below.



As I was blogging this, I thought of  Mahatma Gandhi's quotes.

"Through violence, you may kill a liar, but you can't kill the lie."

"They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me. Then they will have my dead body, but not my obedience."


Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment